Hate to sit behind a desk? So does your body! An analysis of 13 studies looking at sitting time and activity levels found that those who sat for more than eight hours a day with no physical activity had a risk of dying similar to those risks of dying posed by obesity and smoking. And it’s not just our physical health that is at risk. Research also shows that low-energy activities, such as sitting are associated with an increased risk of anxiety.
With our physical and mental health at risk, here are 7 business ideas that will keep you active:
- Horticulture: A landscaping business or running your own nursery will have you mingling with grasses, trees, flowers and shrubs. Sunshine provides nutrients to the greenery and gives you a daily dose of vitamin D.
- Event Planning: From intimate gatherings to large scale galas, event planning entails coordination of many moving parts from décor, entertainment, catering and more. An inquiry for “event planner shoes” resulted in millions of search results because long hours on your feet are a prerequisite for this type of business.
- Massage Therapist: Massage therapy is becoming less of a luxury service and seen more as a holistic approach to total health and wellness. Massage involves a lot of continuous physical effort which requires strength and stamina. As you provide relief from tension and strain, your muscles will get a workout!
- Food Truck Operator: Have a dream of opening your own restaurant but scared off by hefty lease agreements or prime location costs? Owning and operating a food truck is a much more affordable option. Continuing to pop up across the US, this almost billion dollar industry has produced some of most sough-after food eateries. Drive in, park and plan to be on your toes the rest of the day.
- Pet Walker/Mobile Grooming: Attention pet lovers! If you have a fixation for four legged friends, consider signing up on one of the popular pet walking apps to become a certified dog-walker. Have bigger ambitions? Mobile grooming is another business venture servicing the premium pet service industry. Both will keep you on the go!
- Tour Guide: Want to meet (or exceed) that 10,000 daily step goal? Consider starting a tour guide business. Walking food tours visiting culinary destinations are popular outings for millennials and foodies alike. Is your city known for haunted apparitions? Maybe founding a ghost tour business is right for you.
- Parking Lot Litter Removal: Passionate about the environment and love early morning walks? You may want to consider a parking lot litter removal business. Entrepreneur magazine confirms it can be started for only a few hundred dollars, and the service helps your community and the businesses it serves by projecting a positive, earth-friendly image.
Whether you are passionate about living an active lifestyle or just flat out detest the idea of being cooped up indoors all day, every day, executing one of these business ideas will help promote good physical and mental health.
Brian Winch Bio:
Brian Winch is the owner and manager of a successful parking lot litter removal business and author of Cleanlots – America’s Simplest Business. A $200 initial investment has grown over 38 years into a $650,000+ per year business- one which Brian started as a side hustle while working full time at his retail job. Entrepreneur Magazine reported that parking lot litter cleanup is “a simple, inexpensive and potentially lucrative business to get into, and the market is growing”.