As we return to work this New Year, health is always top of mind. Working in an office setting can often discourage physical activity throughout the day, but turnstone, a Steelcase brand, believes you can actually leave the office healthier than when you arrive in the morning with just a few small changes to your daily routine. turnstone recently partnered with entrepreneur Jamie Russo, chief of work + wellness at Enerspace (a co-working space in Palo Alto and Chicago devoted to incorporating wellness in the workplace), to offer the following turnkey wellness tips that entrepreneurs and workers of all kinds can do at work.
- Diversify your posture throughout the day to stay active, offsetting some of the damage done by sitting all day. Swap out your task chair for an active seat like the Buoy or even a yoga ball for a few hours to get a little moving and grooving while sitting; spend portion of the work day standing or working at height-adjusted desks; let your next conference call become a walking call. In fact, Jamie takes conference calls walking the halls or even just pacing a conference room for a physical and mental change of pace.
- Every few hours, get out of your desk, walk around and talk to a different person for 10-15 minutes. Not only will these short breaks improve circulation and reduce eyestrain and buildup of muscle tension, they’ll help you foster better relationships with employees but also might spark fresh ideas.
- Bring your furry friend to work from time to time. Dogs have long been regarded as man’s best friend but they are also increasingly seen as a way to limit occupational stress. Jamie takes her dog (Mini Golden Doodle named Miles) to work because he won’t let her forget to get up and take breaks. “What we might forget to do for ourselves, we will not forget to do for dogs or kids!”
- Purposely leave your brown bag at home. Even though it seems counter-intuitive, Jamie doesn’t pack her DIY healthy lunch sometimes because she wants to force herself to take a walk to get lunch.
- Carve out time to run errands during your work day. Jamie saves pesky errands, like depositing a check at the bank, to do during the work hours with her running shoes. Why? Not only does she get some fresh air and a mental break from the task at hand, but she also crosses errands and mini-workout off her list all at once.
- And if nothing else, close your eyes and breathe! Meditation is becoming a more popular way to stay focused and reduce stress at work. Sneak in 10 deep breaths while you’re getting your morning coffee or even at your desk. Take a deep breath and recite a daily intention to yourself every time you put the phone down after a call.
These tips are via Jamie Russo & turnstone.